After you have taken a snapshot of a virtual machine in Azure, you will have to create a managed disk from the snapshot in order to attach it and use it in a new virtual machine.
1. First, search for and click on “disks” in the Azure search bar:
2. Next, click “Add”:
3. Make sure you select the correct resource group for your subscription. For the ‘source type’ field, we will need to specify the source as a snapshot. In the following ‘source snapshot’ field, we will then need to select the snapshot that we wish to create a disk from.
4. For my particular subscription, I am required to use the standard HDD account type for the ‘size’ setting, so make sure to click ‘change size’ here and do the same if your subscription also requires the same, otherwise your validation will fail in the next step. Click “Review + create” when you are finished, or click “Next : Tags” if you need to tag this new disk.
5. A validation test will be ran, and if your validation passed, you can now click ‘create’ to finish creating your new managed disk. If validation failed, you will need to go back and correct the settings that caused it to fail.
6. You will be notified that the deployment of this new disk is in progress, and it will take a few minutes for this to finish. Once it is finished, you will receive another notification stating that the deployment has succeeded and can be viewed.